Wednesday, October 2, 2013

LEVEL3 Perfume Album Review

Perfume are back with their 4th major studio album after their last album JPN back in 2011.
Enter the Sphere: This is a sort of intro because the majority of the song is instrumental, however they do sing a little bit. I don't like that is longer than 1 minute because it's just a mash up of stuff I hear from the Final Fantasy games lol. But it's decent. I would've rathered a long intro from the 'Opening' of JPN instead of this hahaha.
Spring of Life(Album Mix): NEVER skip the album mixes of their previously released singles because it generally ends up being off the chain and it doesn't change for this album. I already loved Spring of Life so to add this album mix to it makes it even better. I already have like 3 different versions of 'Glitter' and 'Laser Beam' now I'm gonna have 2 different versions of 'Spring of Life' lol. I generally end up stop listening to the original version and just jam to the album mix. And this mix. GIRL. Get this song it is amazing. The only difference is that they placed the bridge part at the beginning and drew it out longer at the end plus there's a little extra at the very end of the song.
Magic of Love(Album Mix): I didn't care for this song all that much when it was released but it's very distinctly Perfume color compared to what they've been coming out for the past 3 years. There's only a slight difference compared to the original version and that's the instrumental during the verses, but it returns back to the original during the chorus. It's fun and upbeat! This mix did not make me like the song even more but I do love that piano part at the end!
Clockwork: The first new song off the album and I love it. Still pop and upbeat but with a mellow feel to it. I like it alot and it's catchy.
1mm: I loved it when it came out and I still love it. It's got a different sound to them but it works. I love how in the verses they lay off on the autotune. Their voices are already extremely high pitched so sometimes the overuse of auto tune kills it even though it's their signature for electro-pop. I like hearing their normal voices when they sing. Anyways good song!
Love the choreo of course and it's minimalist simplicity.
Mirai no Museum(Museum of the Future): As we all know this was released in the summer to be the theme song for the Japanese show Doraemon. I didn't like it all that much but it's fitting for a child's show and the dance was super cute. Now WHY they chose to put this on the album but not a fantastic remix to Hurly Burly or FUCKING COMMUNICATION idk. It throws off the entire vibe but whatever.
Party Maker: It's time to pump the party back up! Definitely a song to jam to at the club because it's basically 7 minutes of fist pumping and jumping up and down lol. But it's really good alot of people love the song and I do too it's very different for them.
When You Look Back, I'll Be There/When I Look Back You'll be There: This has a very r&b/hip-hop vibe to it it's interesting and I love it!!!! I've never heard them do this type before and it's amazing. I feel myself slightly twerking to Perfume hahaha. But really it's a cute pop song!
Point: Great addition to the album, this was a B-Side to their 'Spending All My Time' release which I DOWNLOADED. Like I bought that stuff. I bought all 3 songs because that's how much I love me some Perfume lol. It's one of their best songs in years but like I said this song has been out for a year so I can't really review it.
Daijobanai (I'm not Ok): I loved it as a B side to 'Magic of Love' earlier this year and I'm glad it's on the album. Even though the song is sad I love that its put on an upbeat and fun instrumental. It's very catchy! Love it!!
Handy Man: This was also on the 'Magic of Love' release and I couldn't WAIT TO GET THE FULL VERSION and here it is. And I love it of course. I just love the instrumental.
Sleeping Beauty: This is also just instrumental but with a few words. I love the break down part! It's a nice instrumental but the problem is that there's no visual for this. Everyone knows that Perfume give amazing lives at their concerts where they use unique instrumentals. I need a visual for this. Granted, apparently some of these songs off the album they performed for their World Tour in Europe but still, I don't need this many instrumentals on an album...
Spending All My Time(Album Mix): I know that this version was performed during their international tour because I saw an amazing performance of it online. There's not that much of a difference and it's not as amazing as 'Spring of Life' was like I wanted it to and part of that might have to do with me hearing it already. But still.
Dream Land: It's a sad ending, great way to close the album. Nice song, definitely suits the title.

Overall: I STILL stand by with ' GAME' being Perfume's best album. 'Triangle' was good but it only had a few good singles. JPN made up for it but still didn't live up to many expectations and it's the same here. This album is very 'grown up' for them with the exception of 'Mirai no Museum' haha. It's good to know that their music will progress as they do with age, however their songs just aren't doing it for me anymore. Nakata needs to give Perfume whatever he's been doing with Kyary because she's been at the top of charts longer than they have for the past 2 years. Perfume need another hit! They had that "it" factor because of their performances and unique sound however with Kyary on the scene we start to question "What makes them different?" Give them a hit Nakata! Just because Perfume still go platinum (for Japan) doesn't mean they had a hit song. Give them a HIT!!!
Rating 6.3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment