Sunday, January 6, 2013

Tae Guk Gi: Brotherhood of War Movie Review

A historical drama/thriller starring Jang Dong-gun and the sexy Won Bin as brothers in this wonderful movie.
Plot: 2 Brothers are forced into the Korean War where 1 brother risks his life numerous times so that the younger brother with a heart condition can go back home. The movie follows their intense journey and depicts how war is the epitome of hell.
It was a great movie, veryyyyyyy intense, the battle scenes were just UGH. I myself was stressed out, hoping and praying that the 2 brothers will make it through. I did shed some tears at the end, but I don't really have any problems with the movie. I've seen a couple of war movies and 'Saving Private Ryan' comes close to how hard it is to survive in a war, but this movie takes the cake. It's scary out there. 
Apart from the gory-ness of the movie, it shows just how far brothers will go for each other so that they can survive and return back to their families. Now it also shows the North Korean side and how they are suffering just like everyone else.
The movie also shines a light on how anxious and cynical everyone was when Communists where spreading and what not. It shows that the South Koreans were turning on each other too, people being suspect of being Communist left and right.
Actors: Flawless, this movie shot Won Bin to international fame, he did realllly good in this movie, depicted his character perfectly. Dong-gun is AWESOME, you might recognize him from the drama 'Gentleman's Dignity'. Superb acting from everyone, just brilliant and real and the dialogue was great. Just nothing but praise.

This movie is AMAZING, I can see why it's a classic for Korea. I felt like I was right there in the war with them, running, starving, getting injured, being cynical. I praise the director of this film. Just ugh. I HIGHLY recommend this movie! It's a very tragic story but it made me appreciate my brother alot, I don't think I could ever do what the 2 brothers did in this movie for my brother. It also shows that war is hell for EVERYONE, not just those in the frontlines. It makes me appreciate everyone that fights for their country.
Amazing movie, watch the trailer:

1 comment: